GM do Brasil Milestones: 1980 - 1989
- January 8
- 2 millionth Chevrolet car produced in Brazil rolls off the assembly line.
- February 8
- 500,000th Chevette rolls of the assembly line.
- July 2
- First Chevette with alcohol engine is introduced to the public.
- The 1981 line is launched – including the Chevette Marajó station wagon and Chevette SR 1.6L hatchback.
- GMB announces the sales of Terex to IBH Holding AG.
- December 4
- 700,000th Opala produced.
- January 15
- The first 292-alcohol engine for trucks is produced.
- Family II engine production begins.
- March 3
- Chevrolet Chevette is elected first "Car of the Year" by Autoesporte Magazine.
- June 1
- GMB is considered the first automaker with high quality.
- August 6
- The Aluminum Foundry is inaugurated at the São José dos Campos Plant.
- Inauguration of the Durability track – D1 at the Cruz Alta Proving Grounds.
- December 31
- The commercial line is transferred from São Caetano do Sul plant to the São José dos Campos plant.
- 750,000th Chevette is produced.
- April 19
- The GMB "J" car – Monza is introduced to the media. It is launched to the public on May 13th.
- July 29
- 10,000th Monza is built.
- Launch of the Chevy 500 (pick-up).
- Chevrolet A-70 Truck (6 cylinder) alcohol engine.
- The Chevette is the leader of sales in the country, with a total of 85.894 units sold in one year.
- 100,000th Monza produced.
- March 10
- São José dos Campos plant celebrates 25 years.
- The Cruz Alta Proving Grounds celebrate 10 years.
- General Motors do Brasil celebrates its 60th anniversary.
- EDS do Brasil begins operations.
- June 10
- Records – 1 million Chevette engines.
- 1 million Family II engines produced.
- 850,000 Chevettes produced.
- 12 million Delco batteries manufactured.
- June 23
- 2,100,000th Chevrolet vehicles produced.
- 1 millionth Chevette is produced at the São José Dos Campos plant.
- November 11
- 1,500,000 engines.
- February 2
- General Motors Technological Center inauguration ceremony – São Caetano do Sul.
- Launch of the Kadett.
- The São Caetano do Sul Waste Water Treatment facility is inaugurated.
- October 19
- Launch of the Chevrolet Kadett Ipanema (station wagon).
- December 4
- 5 million engines produced.