The Packard Electric Company was formed in Warren, Ohio, in 1890 and initially produced incandescent light bulbs. Branching out to automobiles, it built the first Packard motor car in 1899. The Packard Motor Car Company was split off from Packard Electric in 1902 and Packard Electric began focusing more and more of its business on automotive components. Packard Electric became part of General Motors in 1932. By the 1980s, it was the industry's leading producer of wire harnesses and other electrical automotive components. It became part of Delphi Automotive Systems in 1995. Today known as Delphi Packard Electric Systems, it remains part of Delphi Automotive Systems, which was spun off from GM in 1999.