Saginaw Steering Division
Written by Bill Bowman
This producer of power steering, front-wheel and rear-wheel drive axles and adjustable steering columns, grew out of a company founded in 1906 in Saginaw, Michigan. Three men with last names: Jackson, Church and Wilcox created Jacox, a trade name created from all of their last names. Buick bought the Jacox facility in 1909.
After being separated from Buick in 1917, the company was established as the Jackson, Church and Wilcox Division, becoming GM’s first parts manufacturing division. The name was changed to Saginaw Product Company in 1919 and to Saginaw Steering Gear Division in 1928. The brand name of the products was changed from Jacox to Saginaw in 1930. In 1985, the divisions name was shortened to Saginaw Division.
During the early 1990s, the division was folded into GM’s Automotive Components Group, which in 1995 became Delphi Automotive Systems.